Here’s a treat, and hopefully it might get some discussion going. This site is proud to feature a guest post by Ed Roberts, proprietor of Breakout Manchester. Breakout Manchester is one of the busiest and most popular sites in the country and Ed has travelled extensively, playing games around the country for research purposes (and because he, like everyone else, is a massive fan). Here is a starting-point for a possible ranking table of different games’ difficulties; if you agree or disagree with his rankings, please share your opinions in the comments. Different people will find different things difficult, of course, but if there’s any consensus of opinion, then this would be useful for people deliberately looking for a relatively hard or relatively easy game. Thank you so much, Ed, and take it away!
So I’ve played a fair few escape games. Here in my opinion is how they rank from hardest to easiest. This is no indication of which games are good or bad; an easy game may be great, so may a hard game. Likewise an easy game may be awful as may a hard one. This is also based on nothing more than my personal opinion.
I’ve never played the Scottish, Bath, Bournemouth, Cryptopia, or Irish offerings so I can’t comment on these. I’ve also ranked the Breakout game rooms for where I believe they would sit. You will also notice some games I escaped from are higher up the lists than some other I didn’t escape from, for two reasons: some of the people I was with are better at these games than others – and, as with any game, sometimes there are good performances and other days bad performances.
- Clue HQ – Dungeon of Doom
- Escape Rooms – Pharoah’s Chamber – 10% of people escape, they gave us another 10 minutes and didn’t get close
- Escape Rooms – Room 33 – Escaped just after the hour
- Oxford Castle – Didn’t escape, we were late so only had 50 minutes but didn’t get close
- Breakout Manchester – Madchester
- Hint Hunt – Zen Room – Escaped
- Puzzlair – Lev Pasted – Didn’t escape
- Clue HQ – Bunker 38 – Broke the record there. Great game.
- Breakout Manchester – Sabotage
- Agent November – Escaped on 0
- Tick Tock Unlock – Escaped
- Cluequest – Plan 52 – Escaped 1 hint, probably the best game I have played
- Breakout Manchester – Virus
- Locked in Games – Nursery Nightmares
- Cluequest – Operation Black Sheep – First game I ever played so it’s hard to judge.
- Hint Hunt – John Monroe – 2nd game I played and we mucked up the first half, didn’t escape but that was our fault for being stupid early doors
- Breakout Manchester – John Monroe
- Keyhunter – Red Curse – Escaped with no hints
- Exciting Game – The mad scientist – Escaped
- Exciting Game – The warehouse – Escaped
- Exciting Game – old 1 – Escaped
- Exciting Game – old 2 – Broke the record, 20 minutes to go, one hint
- Make a break – Escaped
- Escape Land – No hints, broke the record
- Keyhunter – Triads – Escaped with no hints