Welcome to your (approximately) weekly dose of UK and Irish escape game rumours. These have been appearing over on The Logic Escapes Me for the last six months or so but, while the nature of them is a little more gossipy than is usual for Exit Games, they fit more naturally with the content of this site than the reviews on their former home so it makes sense to relocate them.
This site is always on the look out for any new games or venues that are opening, references in the media or anything else that might be of interest to the readers, so please do send an email if you spot anything of interest!
On to the news!
- You’d have to be hiding under a stone to miss that the Crystal Maze made a return to Channel 4 last night. While the show itself is a one-off in aid of Stand Up to Cancer, this site can’t help but feel that, given the furore around it at the moment, there’s a chance to launch a successful TV show off the back of it. Indeed with the announcement of a new venue in Manchester that’s housed at the old Granada TV studios, one can’t help but wonder whether they gave any thought to how they might fit filming into the venue…
- Off the back of that, the Guardian ran a story about escape rooms and how they’d been part of the impetus behind bringing back the show.
- Another thing you’ll have missed by the time you read this news update but… Alibi TV ran a live streamed murder mystery escape room style event on Facebook where the audience got to make decision about what the character did. If you think that’s a tenuous link to escape rooms then perhaps the fact Minkette of Enter the Oubliette fame was involved in the design will convince you it belongs here.
- Northern Ireland
- Escape Belfast opened with two rooms: Down the Rabbit Hole and The Preacher
- North West England
- As mentioned above, the Crystal Maze announced the opening of a venue in Manchester. Tickets are already on sale for the April opening date with promises of new games and some changes to the format. Head over to Ex Exit Games for some more analysis and interesting musings.
- Breakout Challenge near Manchester opened with a single game entitled… the Game.
- Timed Trap in Preston is opening later this week with The Great Escape, Serial Killer and Treasure Theft. If the name sounds familiar then it’s possibly because they ran an, ultimately unsuccessful, kickstarter project a few months ago. It’s great to see that in spite of that setback they’ve pushed on and opened not only the two rooms they working on but a third entirely new one.
- Unfortunately appearing too late on this site’s radar to broadcast more widely, Wigan vs the Lizards was a free to play reboot of a temporary escape room that ran last summer in St Helen’s. This site certainly hopes that it wasn’t just a one off return!
- East Midlands
- Escape Reality have announced their Leicester location and games with Jungala, Enigmista and Alcatraz coming to the Midlands.
- West Midlands
- Those of you who like to know about escape rooms’ arrivals well in advance might be curious about a planning application in Stratford-upon-Avon by Escape Live – the brand behind the successful Birmingham and Southend games that has already announced plans for a room in Coventry.
- Xscape Now (not to be confused with some of the other venues mentioned in this article that used to use the name Xscape…) have successfully applied for planning permission and will be opening an escape room in Telford in the not too distant future. The local journalists are obviously fellow readers of planning applications and ran a story on the new outfit.
- If you’re quick, and you’re in the right area then you’re just in time to sign up to the Midlothian Science Festival’s free escape room, Escape the Cell. Sadly, it’s only running on 18th October so you’ll have to be very quick indeed!
- Escape Reality have announced their venue in Glasgow and opening date (1 December). As with their Cardiff site, there are five rooms: Jungala, Misery, Enigmista, Alcatraz and, in place of Fibonacci, they’ve got Murder in Whitechapel.
- South East England:
- East England
- If you’re a fan of escape rooms with a local tie in (and this site certainly is) and you live in Suffolk then you should be excited about the arrival of an escape room at the Suffolk Food Hall. Escape the Gamekeeper’s Bothy is due to open in late October and comes from the same stable as the Oliver Cromwell escape room in nearby Ely.
- Meanwhile, just outside Cambridge, this site has come across a venue that’s planning two games. The interestingly named Cryptx is based on farmland a few miles outside the city centre and plans to open two games at the end of November, the Pub and the Gaol. Looking further ahead, there appears to be plans for a venue over in Essex somewhere. Watch this space…
That’s all folks
That’s all I’m aware of. If any of the above is incorrect or if you’re aware of other news, discounts or competitions, then let me know via email or in the comments below and I’ll include updates in the next edition.
Thanks for reading!