Welcome to your weekly escape room rumour round up packed full of new games, venues and media mentions. Apologies to those of you who missed last week’s edition – I was away in Warsaw for the weekend so didn’t have time to gather all the news updates together.
This site is always on the look out for new games or venues that are opening, references in the media or anything else that might be of interest to the readers, so please do send an email if you spot anything of interest. That applies to owners too – feel free to send me your news for inclusion here. Don’t be shy!
On to the news
Quietening down for the summer?
- The Sunday Herald ran an article on the escape room craze in the UK with mentions of Escape, Locked In Edinburgh, Escape Rooms Scotland and Locked Shetland.
- The Bournemouth Echo ran a story about Sarah Dodd and Sharan Gill reaching the milestone of 500 games played when they visited the MacGuffin Project in the town.
- South East England
- CTRL-ALT-ESC have launched in Margate with their first game entitled Frankenscape.
- (see also the national news at the top about an article in the Bournemouth Echo)
- More Bournemouth news: Escape Rooms Quest have opened in the town with their first game entitled The Zodiac: Chapter 1.
- Yet more Bournemouth news – a new company U-Escape looks set to launch in the town.
- Northern Ireland (Thanks to Jackie for the ongoing updates in NI!)
- South West England
- First hints of an escape attraction that will be opening in Cheddar Gorge. Not sure of the timeline but it looks like there will be a couple of games at the venue.
- East Midlands
- Escape Reality Leicester have opened another game, Sairento
- East of England
- Colchester has recently approved planning permission for one game but it’s obviously a popular choice with a second planning application being submitted and noticed by the local paper.
- Ipswich Escape Rooms was visited by their local paper.
- History Mystery have opened their second site at Blickling Church in Norfolk, the first permanent UK game to open in an active church. The church is connected to the Boleyn family so it should come as no surprise that the game, The Queenmaker, is centred around Anne Boleyn.
- North West England
- Poltergeist is opening at moviESCAPE Ashton
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Yet another outdoorsy escape room is opening, this time near Sheffield. Living Adventure Puzzle Woods has launched the Miner’s Trail, a kind of outdoors puzzle trail with escape room elements.
- Enigma Rooms Retford opens this week with two games: Colditz and Outbreak
- The Escapologist opened in Selby with two games: World of Wizardry and Anarchy of the Seas
- Wakefield has been added to the Enigma Rooms’ website. No details of opening dates or games as of yet.
- West Midlands
- Unfortunately I was too late to spot this in time to enter but it looks like there was a running/escape room hybrid taking place in Malvern last week.
- It’s obviously the time for hybrid events with the Quiztal Maze taking place last week in a pub in Nuneaton. According to the advert it was a pub quiz with escape room elements. For now it seems to be a one off but if that looks interesting then I’d suggest getting in touch to find out more.
That’s all I’m aware of. If any of the above is incorrect or if you’re aware of other news, discounts or competitions, then let me know via email or in the comments below and I’ll include updates in the next edition.
Thanks for reading!