This post should have started by wishing you a Happy New Year. Unfortunately, the start to 2019 has been anything but happy in the escape room world. In case you haven’t read the many news reports, on Friday 4 January, there was a fire in an escape room venue in Koszalin, Poland which claimed the lives of five teenage girls celebrating a birthday. Words can’t express the sadness felt in the escape room community and while the tragedy may have taken place on the other side of Europe, it’s clear that the UK community is devastated by these deaths too. The thoughts of all us are with the families and friends of those five girls and with the man who was seriously injured in the fire.
While nothing can bring those teenagers back, one positive step coming from this tragedy is that across the world, fire departments are already inspecting escape room venues to confirm that they’re safe. The Polish government announced that every escape room in the country will be inspected while in the UK spontaneous inspections were reported as early as Sunday and reports are coming through today of at least some fire services being given instructions to visit all escape rooms.
On to the news
It’s hard to follow that sad news but over the last three weeks, things have still been happening in the UK escape room industry.
- If you haven’t already noticed, Bewilder Box are running some sort of game. It’s not clear where it will lead but if you’re curious then you can find the first clue on the UK Enthusiast Group.
- OK not the UK but Room Escape Artist, a US blog, has published a series of interesting articles recently
- A review of the Escape Room (2019) film that launched in the US this month. Note that this isn’t the same as the Escape Room (2017) film that just appeared on Netflix.
- Coverage of the Polish Escape Room Fire
- Announcing Escape Immerse Explore for 2019… There are two tours! If you fancy flying out to the US and playing some of the best games in the world with fellow enthusiasts then now’s your chance.
- 2018 Golden Lock-In Awards – REA’s list of the best games they played in 2018, a few of which are easily reachable from the UK!
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Project Breakout in Brighouse opened Operation Clearsafe, a 75 minute experience.
- South West England
- North East England
- Escape Rooms Durham are opening a new game soon in nearby Lumley Castle.
- East Midlands
- Escape the Room in Mansfield opened Oceans 1 – The Bank Job and later in the month they expect to open a second room!
- East of England
- North West England
- moviESCAPE Stockport opened The Sherlock Holmes Mystery
- West Midlands
- South East England
- Genius Escapes is a new company set to launch in Southampton which has a single game – Nuclear Nightmare.
- Pressure Point Escape Rooms in Ashford closed The Accused. Worry not – the Moonlit Wild is set to open in February.
- Houdini’s Escape Tenpin in Southampton opened Extinct, a Jurassic-themed game.
- Blog posts
- The Logic Escapes Me
- The Golden Keys – 2018
- Tulleys Escape Rooms (Crawley): Nethercott Manor
- Guildford Escape Rooms: Venus
- Guildford Escape Rooms: The Case of the Missing Gun
- Make Your Escape (Derby): Utopia and Dystopia
- Prague Escape Review: MindMaze – Galactic Pioneers
- Exit the Game: Dead Man on the Orient Express
- Unlock! – Escape Adventures
- Escape Reviewers
- Lock Us Up
- Escaping Rooms
- Escape Goats
- Escape the Review
- Brit of an Escape Habit
- The Logic Escapes Me
That’s all I’m aware of. If any of the above is incorrect or if you’re aware of other news, significant discounts or competitions, then let me know via email or in the comments below and I’ll include updates in the next edition.
Thanks for reading!